As the Liftoff community is getting more organised, we noticed some room for improvement in the multiplayer experience. Online competition is all about getting a smooth experience. A split second of delay can have a big impact on your race performances. That’s what we’ve been focusing on with update 0.7.2.
For the last few weeks we have been digging into our code, monitoring performance and rewriting some of our systems. This update should give a huge improvement in game performance, resulting in the game running smoother on any PC/Mac setup, an improved feel of the flight behaviour and an overall more enjoyable multiplayer experience. Check out our 0.7.2 changelist for more details.
- Overall performance improvement both in single player and multiplayer.
- Frame-rate spikes during multiplayer game when a player joins are resolved.
- No more frame-rate spikes during multiplayer race countdown.
- Dynamic content loader is fixed. This makes the game respond instantly on startup if you have a lot of custom content.
- Pause menu cannot be opened during screenfading. This prevents players from getting stuck in the game.
- Fixed third-person LED color of your drone.
- Extra option in room creation to send idle players to spectate mode if they don’t hit any gates in 30 seconds.
- Increased time for players that are still racing after the first player finished (now 30 secs, was 20 secs).
- Decreased time before players go to the results screen when pressing reset (now 2 secs, was 3 secs).
0.8.0 around the corner
On our Facebook page we’ve been teasing some of our work on the next milestone update 0.8.0. While we can’t put an exact date on this big update, things on the development side are looking great. 0.8.0 will introduce a completely revamped workbench, improving the usability of the feature, giving more customisation options, adding more frames and drone parts and making the Workbench feature something you want to spend a lot of time in. Exciting things to come!